St Mary's Church, Bitteswell

St Mary's dates back to the 13th Century with the north aisle being added in 1852 and the chancel reconstructed in 1881.  An extension consisting of meeting room, kitchenette and toilets  was constructed with reclaimed granite and dressed Woodkirk Yorkstone masonry.

The church and village wanted the new fabric to match the existing and eventually this was granted much to the delight of everyone.

The extension is joined to the church through a new arched doorway created in the north aisle.  The new path provides wheelchair access to the church and curves to avoid a major burial vault.

 

Priory Church of St Mary, Tutbury

The church sits next to Tutbury Castle and formed part of the priory established by Henry de Ferrers in the 1080's.  the current nave and aisles date back to the 1100's and the ordering to the western doorway, incidentally, containt he first known use of alabaster in England.

The Grade 1 listed building only had very basic facilities, and the brief for the project was defined as the addition of a kitchen, toilets, vicar's office and flexible meeting space.  The main ethos was to weave the existing screen work into the new with a new family of complimentary details.  The seamless transition between the existing and new fabric displays the skill of our craftsmen.

The meeting room is one feature of this project constructed mainly of oak panelling, having two sets of double oak doors wih traditional black ironmongery.  The oak panelling facing inwards to the body of the church was stained to match the existing, but the interior was oiled to preserve the natural colour, making the room look light and airy.  Increased daylight into each room was achieved by introducing skylights and lower part of the original windows received opening oak window boxes.

p1000009.jpg p1000011.jpg p1000018.jpg p1000024-2.jpg p1000031.jpg priory church of st mary tutbury - new carved oak fretwork.jpg

This project was featured in the September/October edition of the Church Building Magazine and won the EMBCE Award for Heritage Skills in 2010 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lichfield Parks

The restoration works continued for some months in 2010 and included cleaning of a bronze statue of Captain John Smith (of the Titanic) and also of the Edward VII Portland stone statue.

The Marty's Plaque has been ressurected to a vertical position on a rendered mount after being laid on the ground for many many years.  This is an important and old artefact which dates back to the 1740’s. The plaque shows the City Seal which it is said, depicts the supposed slaughter of Christians by the Romans in the 2nd Century.  It now stands more prominently where it can be viewed and admired once again.

The fountain has been dismantled and rebuilt and the four lions from the outer rim which had slumped forward on their individual plinths, have been repaired in our workshop and reinstated.  The centrepiece (sea nymph) was restored to its former glory  and reinstated in the centre.  New balusters have been made in our workshop to restore the balustrades around the Park together with works to the gates and gate piers.

New steps and ramp with railings were constructed to provide easier access for everyone to areas of the Park.

DSCF2728.jpg a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg

 

St Nicholas Church, Little Bowden, Market Harborough

According to the listing, the church dates back to the 13th Century with traces of earlier building in the west end.  The chancel was built in the 18th Century with some restoration work carried out in 1900.

The new extension (117m² on two floors) was built in 2008/2009 and provides

  • kitchen/serving area,
  • lobby,
  • downstairs toilets
  • large meeting room on the first floor accessed by stairs
  • stair lift for wheelchair users to the first floor

The extension was built of ironstone from Great Tew with dressed stone in Ancaster Weatherbed limestone from Block Stone in Derbyshire to match the original fabric of the church and reclaimed Cumbrian slate on the roof supplied by Hunslet Roofing in Leeds, West Yorkshire.  These materials ensured that the extension blended in with the original architecture.

The extension provides a new access to the church at the back of the aisle at ground level.

For this project we won the LABC 2009 Regional Award for construction and workmanship and Finalist in the National Awards

 

Page 3 of 3

Design & Brand MEDIA EDEN